Did you know you can use epoxy glue for fast and effective results in and around your home? From small repairs to gut jobs, find out how to use epoxy for your next DIY project. It’s easier than you think.
Epoxy is an incredibly versatile, long-lasting adhesive that can be used with a wide range of materials – from wood and plastic to metal, ceramics, tiles and more. You can even use it on masonry! So how does epoxy work?
Epoxy is a type of polymer – a group of chemical compounds consisting of large molecules with repeating subunits, which give epoxies their toughness and elasticity. There are two types of epoxies: heat-cured epoxies and two-part epoxies. While heat-cured epoxies are used in industrial applications, you’re more likely to use two-part epoxies for DIY jobs or repairs in and around the home.
Two-part epoxies become an adhesive when an epoxy resin reacts with a hardener: that’s a process called the ‘epoxide reactive process’. Once a curing agent is added and the epoxy can set and cure, the adhesive creates a very strong bond.
Whether you’re new to DIY or seasoned DIYer, it doesn’t hurt to learn more about how to use epoxy glue for efficient, reliable results. Here are some tips:
- Do your research and make sure you choose the right epoxy for the materials you’re working with. For more delicate jobs, use an epoxy glue that has a longer setting time so you can make adjustments before the bond cures.
- Always read the safety precautions on how to use epoxy glue in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Safety first! Protect yourself by wearing eye protection and rubber gloves.
- Prepare a well-ventilated workspace and protect surrounding areas with a cloth to prevent drips and spills.
- Use epoxy glue carefully. Be as precise as possible during application to avoid any sticky mishaps.
We recommend you ask yourself a few questions before you consider using epoxy glue. What materials do you want to bond? Is the epoxy intended for indoor or outdoor use? Does it have to be quick setting or water-resistant?
If you need to use epoxy glue that’s strong, water-resistant and cures quickly, make Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix 1 Minute your go-to. This handy epoxy glue produces a tough, rigid and high-strength bond that starts to set in just one minute, reaching handling strength in another 4 to 9 minutes. It offers a high impact resistance (won’t crack when drilled) and can be tinted to match surrounding areas.
Need to use epoxy glue suited for vertical surfaces? Try Loctite Epoxy Gel, which has a non-drip gel formulation ideal for vertical jobs where dripping might occur. Not only is it an adhesive but this versatile product can be used as a filler for surface repairs, gap bonding or laminating. It’s also water resistant, can be sanded and drilled, and tinted for colour matching.